Post #3

(THE NEXT DAY, AFTER THE FIGHT...)
Salve, again. As you can see, I survived my gladiator fight.
Let me tell you what happened:

Well, I'm writing this, so you've probably already guessed I'm still alive. I guess I'm not too surprised when I think about it. After all, I'm not that new to gladiator fights. The best part is that now I  have more glory and am more well-known than ever before. I got prize money as well. Anyways, since I'm guessing many of you didn't have the chance to see my gladiator fight, I will tell you what happened.

My opponent, Publius, and I entered the arena at the same time. Immediately we heard the sound of the crowd, either yelling for one of us, or just talking amongst themselves. We were led in with a parade, like any other gladiator fight, and our parade went around the arena until we reached the Emperor's seat. There we raised our weapons in a salute to Augustus Caesar and said, "Caesar, morituri te salutamus!" Then, the game "referree" sounded the trumpet and the game began.
Being a Secutor gladiator, I have an army-standard gladius and rectangular shield, plus a heavy helmet which restricts my vision more than necessary. My opponent, being a Retiarius, had a trident and net, plus a dagger at his belt and a military-style helmet. As my gladiator type implies, I chased after him immediately. I heard people in the crowd laugh as if they anticipated that move and they knew he would kill me next. Before I got to him, he threw his net around my legs and tripped me up. Apparently the crowd was right about that... as the trident was coming toward my bare chest, I lifted my shield up and caught the trident in it. That guy really can thrust a trident, because that thing went at least 6 inches through my shield. I unwrapped my legs of the net and jumped up, then chucked my now useless shield and trident combo away from both of us. Didn't want him getting that trident. But he still had his dagger, and he drew that now. Again I charged at him, but this time he ran away. As he was trying to get past me (I bet he wanted that trident back) I threw his net at him. Apparently he didn't know how bad of an aim I was, since he stopped to dodge it. So I put myself between him and the trident again, and attacked. He wasn't too bad at swordplay, but soon I had disarmed him. Weaponless, he now stood there, looking a bit confused. I kicked him down, and held my sword to his neck.
Now I could really hear the crowd's shouts. Most of the people put their hand in a thumbs-up sign and pressed their thumb to their chest. While doing so they yelled, "Habet, hoc habet!" and "Iugula!". They wanted me to kill him. Their favorite hero had fallen, he had been defeated, and now his punishment was to die for it.
I looked over at Augustus, and he signalled for me to kill Publius the Retiarius gladiator. I regret having to kill him, for he was an honorable, worthy, and courageous gladiator.

That was my gladiator fight today. While this took a bit longer than many gladiator fights it was still similar in many aspects to an ordinary fight.

2 comments:

  1. How you do it, I shall never know. Though I'm not a gladiator like yourself, I have fought in the navy, I've even been in command of the Roman fleet before. To fight in war for your country is one thing, to fight in battle for your life each and everyday is another thing. I praise you for such bravery and courage you show.

    PS: I went into town this morning and I heard your name in practically everyone's conversation!

    NoAuthor.“Timeline.”Google, http://www.google.com/searchq=pliny+the+elder&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS410US412&prmd=ivnsb&tbs=tl:1&tbo=u&ei=smjQTfH6K8by0gHIq9HgDQ&sa=X&oi=timeline_result&ct=title&resnum=11&ved=0CFgQ5wIwCg&biw=1259&bih=584 29
    April 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned more and more about you since we became friends, and I feel for you,because no one else seems to they show absolute inhumanity!
    "Are they torn to pieces? That is not enough!" They just don't seem to care, they want their entertainment! :( its so messed up.

    Seneca, Epistles 7.

    ReplyDelete